Week 3 Blog :
In Chapter 4 Processes That Support Learning, the executive function processes like attention and focus are discussed. Along with the importance of how memory processes, and how emotion can influence learning motivation. .
The ideas in this chapter are similar to Gura’s concept of the creative learning environment. Gura states that creativity shines through when students feel safe, are able to explore, and are encouraged to take academic risks. Chapter 4 addresses this when mentioning that students can’t be creative if they are anxious and overwhelmed with work. Curriculum that supports students safety, focus, and engagement, is a curriculum that is going to support learning and creativity.
An ISTE Standard for Students that connects to this chapter is the Empowered Learner standard. This standard emphasizes that students should take on the responsibility of choosing, succeeding, and demonstrating mastery in their learning goals. Chapter 4 reiterates this when discussing how curriculum is meant to help students extend their knowledge, while also keeping their attention, regulating their emotions, and encouraging them to be responsible learners.
Hey Ella! I really enjoyed reading your post and looking through your infographic. I love how clearly you connected executive function, memory, and emotion to learning. Your visuals made those ideas feel much more concrete, especially the focus on prior knowledge and how emotions impact attention and motivation. I thought that was really powerful, because we see that play out in classrooms every single day. Your connection to Gura’s creative learning environment was a point I really liked. The idea that students can’t truly be creative when they’re anxious or overwhelmed feels so real.
ReplyDeleteHi, Ella. As someone who read the same chapter as you, I liked seeing another perspective on the reading. I appreciated how you related it to Gura, and how you emphasized prior knowledge and emotional safety. The pictures in the infographic were eye-catching and made me want to read what accompanied it.
ReplyDelete