Skip to main content

Week 5 Blog

     Part 1 : 

    The article from Inclusive Instructional Design : Applying UDL to Online Learning explains how UDL designs and implements classroom learning for students with different needs. UDL’s three main principles are multiple means of representation, action and expression, and engagement. When writing and delivering lessons, these should act as a foundation. Students that have disabilities, need further support, or more learning options, should be able to have access to the digital tools that can help them. The article explains the importance technology can play in giving students support in the classroom. Tools such as text-to-speech, visuals, online reading sites, and so on.  The UDL Design Cycle, which is a design process that analyzes student learning, objectives, assessments, and materials with UDL guiding principles, helps with increasing student access to online instruction. It also introduces the UDL Reporting Criteria which helps guide educator planning, lesson delivery and implementation. In my current lesson that I am working on, I am teaching a 4th Grade reading Unit about Geology. Students are to write a paragraph about a natural disaster. Students are using an online “Geology Choice Board”. The choice board contains several resources such as online articles, student-friendly videos, visuals, and so on. This digital tool will help students as they work to take notes, and acts as a resource for students who may struggle with reading, being able to listen to articles read aloud. Students will also type their paragraphs on a google doc when they are ready for a final draft. This gives students access to tools such as spelling check tools, text-to-speech, suggested edits, and more. 

Part 2:

The CAST UDL Guidelines consider many strategies that could be implemented into lessons for diverse learners. Firstly, supporting multiple ways students perceive information. For example, giving students options to listen to a story or text versus reading it. In a reading lesson this might look like students using chromebooks and an online website connected to the curriculum to listen to an audio version of a chapter. This helps students with different needs, such as ELL students or SPED students. Another strategy is to provide students with multiple options of engagement and consider their interests. For example, giving students choice when it comes to their learning. This might mean letting them pick from a list of options for their final project. Such as creating a video, making a slideshow, a digital poster or infographic, etc. These strategies align with UDL’s guidelines and goal in having all students engaged during a lesson. 


Part 3 :

The NETP addresses the “digital use divide” by describing student access to internet and digital devices. The digital use divide highlights the gap in how technology is used to enhance learning. Some students use technology for creative benefit and collaboration, while others engage with it as more of a distraction to learning. UDL supports narrowing down the digital use divide by explaining lessons should use technology meaningfully and should be aligned to meet the students’ needs. NETP Guidance asks educators to design lessons that use technology and integrate it in a purposeful way, which implements UDL’s strategies to make lessons more inclusive and use technology meaningfully to support student critical thinking and creativity.

References : 

Rao, K. (2021). Inclusive instructional design: Applying UDL to online learning. The Journal of Applied Instructional Design, 10(1). https://dx.doi.org/10.51869/101/kr

CAST. (2024). CAST Universal Design for Learning guidelines version 3.0 [Graphic organizer]. https://udlguidelines.cast.org

U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology. (2024). A call to action for closing the digital access, design, and use divides: 2024 National Educational Technology Plan.


Comments

  1. Hey Ella. I appreciated how clearly you connected UDL to what you’re actually doing in your geology unit. The choice board makes a lot of sense, especially for a topic like natural disasters where visuals and videos can really build background knowledge. I also like that you pointed out how tools like text to speech and spell check aren’t just “extras” but real supports that increase access. Your point about the digital use divide stood out to me too. It’s easy to assume that giving students devices automatically makes learning more equitable, but you’re right that it really comes down to how the technology is used. When you are using technology in the classroom though, how do you help students stay focused when they’re researching? Do you build in checkpoints or modeling for that?

    Overall, your lesson feels intentional, not just tech for the sake of tech, and alignment to UDL principles really comes through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 5333 DST Week 3 Blog

Week 3 Blog      As I started to think about the different stories I could explore, I thought about important places, people, and moments throughout my life. They all came back to growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. My family, friends, school experiences, and teaching career all come back to Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like my story to capture "Nebraska : The Good Life", specifically, Lincoln. I think some of the different elements I could include are my own memories of growing up, important areas of Lincoln, such as the downtown Haymarket, the determination and loyalty of Husker fans, teaching at the elementary school I attended, and so on. All of these things that make Lincoln, Nebraska my home.      The type of story I would like to tell is a personal narrative memoir. The main purpose of my digital story would be to highlight how Nebraska has shaped my identity throughout my life. I would hope that the impact of my story would be that the audience feels an ...

EDUC 5313 : Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog  Part 1 : Introduction      Hello everyone! My name is Ella Christensen, and I am excited to get started with this course. This winter will be my third semester taking online classes through Southeastern Oklahoma University. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently work as a fourth-grade teacher at the same elementary school I attended as a child.      I am working toward my master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in educational technology. This is my first course directly related to the technology portion of my program, so I am excited to dive in! As for my future professional goals and what I plan to do with my master’s degree, I am not exactly sure yet, but I am looking forward to seeing where it might take me.      When I am not teaching or doing schoolwork, I spend a lot of time with friends and family. Whether it’s going for walks, grabbing coffee, shopping, or cooking a new dinner, I love spe...

EDUC 5313 : Week 2 Blog

  Week 2 Blog  Part 1:  Authentic Intellectual Work/Authentic Instruction & Assessment.        Authentic Intellectual Work focuses on 3 major criteria, the construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and the value beyond school. Meaning students should be able to build on their prior knowledge, analyze, and interpret new information. Students should engage in deep understanding of subjects and be able to communicate their ideas and responses clearly. Lastly, students’ learning should connect to real-world issues and situations, making their learning meaningful and valuable. This differs from traditional instruction, as it isn’t focused on standardized tests and teacher lectures. It more focuses on the student’s ability to communicate, problem solve, and question, not the teacher’s ability to lecture and ask questions. While traditional tests might encourage students to memorize definitions and formulas, AIW asks students to apply their kno...