I chose to read an interview with Rick Hassler titled "Avoiding Technology Crash and Burn Scenario Through Collaborative Leadership". This title stood out to me, as a second year teacher I have had multiple moments or lessons that didn't go as planner and in a sense "crashed and burned". I also think that when incorporating technology into a lesson that involves 9 and 10 year olds, there is likely to be some crashing and burning. As I started to read this interview with Rick Hassler, I realized he went through a lot to get to the role he is is now. Not only did he have almost 20 years of classroom teacher experience, but he also left education altogether for a couple of years and got experience as a project manager. Eventually as he re-entered the field of education he was given the opportunity to work as a lead coordinator for the one-to-one iPad project. This just proves that nobody in the higher roles they are currently in, got there from good luck and a hope and a prayer. They got there through hard work, experience, and years of building their resume and meeting other professionals.
As Rick started talking about working towards changing teacher's approaches when implementing technology, he begins to reference the ISTE Standards. He explains that the ISTE standards and Triple E Framework area helpful in supporting teachers through changing how they may work with technology in their classroom. He further explains how important it is that teachers not just read and know the ISTE standards, but that they truly understand the "why" and the "how to do it".
Rick explains that while professional development is necessary in supporting teachers' understanding of new technology, he also emphasizes the importance of principals involvement in professional development. He states "The principal has to be involved and walk the walk, not simply delegate. A lot of times, principals will delegate professional development and instructional leadership to their assistant principals. What Project RED found is that principals have to be the instructional leader. They have to get up there, model it, walk the walk, and provide ongoing feedback on the project." (Stachowiak & McClay, n.d.) If the principal and leaders amongst the school show to be on board for the new technology being implemented, then there is more of a chance of its success. This also goes for senior teachers at the school. A lot of the time, veteran teachers don't want to accept change. They like things the way they are, they feel technology is becoming too much of a focus, and so on. Working to shift the mindset of all staff is only going to be accomplished if this "push" comes from school leaders, such as the principal.
From my perspective, I can connect with this a lot. As a newer teacher and having joined a school when a lot of change was happening, I can relate to the feeling of change being scary and have seen the push back from staff firsthand. When I joined my current school, we were getting a new principal and new assistant principal AND on top of that a whole new reading curriculum. I also was joining a team of 4 (very kind but very opinionated) veteran teachers. It is HARD to shift mindsets and accept change, and it is HARD to want to change the teaching methods you have been using the past 15-20 years. As a newer teacher, I realized quickly that in this profession you have to be willing to adapt and go with it. I have seen the benefits of a new principal being involved at their school and really leading professional development and meetings with a positive and encouraging outlook. While it may be hard to shift the mindset of some of those veteran teachers, as Rick mentioned, it is possible with consistent presentations, evidence, and support of leaders at the school.
I think Rick's story is extremely inspiring, especially as someone who is just starting out their career in education. I think it is really cool to see how many different job opportunities Rick pursued and how he was able to use that experience to get a leadership role in technology.
Citations :
Stachowiak, B., & McClay, J. (n.d.). Avoiding a technology crash and burn scenario through collaborative leadership. In Igniting your leadership with technology. Innovate Learning, LLC.
Ella, your text changes font in the middle - was this a copy-paste issue?
ReplyDeleteI think your discussion of the different perspectives teachers have on technology us based on the number of years they have been in the professional is spot on. This came out in a study I conducted with teachers in Norman Public Schools.