Skip to main content

EDUC 5333 DST Week 3 Blog

Week 3 Blog 

    As I started to think about the different stories I could explore, I thought about important places, people, and moments throughout my life. They all came back to growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. My family, friends, school experiences, and teaching career all come back to Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like my story to capture "Nebraska : The Good Life", specifically, Lincoln. I think some of the different elements I could include are my own memories of growing up, important areas of Lincoln, such as the downtown Haymarket, the determination and loyalty of Husker fans, teaching at the elementary school I attended, and so on. All of these things that make Lincoln, Nebraska my home. 
    The type of story I would like to tell is a personal narrative memoir. The main purpose of my digital story would be to highlight how Nebraska has shaped my identity throughout my life. I would hope that the impact of my story would be that the audience feels an appreciation for where they are from, who they surround themselves with, and small everyday moments. I hope that my digital story creates a sense of calm, nostalgia, and connection for those that view it. 
    While considering Jason Ohler's story elements, I want my story to include a strong beginning, middle, and end. The beginning would introduce growing up in Lincoln through my childhood experiences. The middle will consist of some key life moments, such as high school, friendships, college, and so on. The climax of the story would highlight my decision in studying elementary education and becoming a teacher at my own past elementary school.The resolution of the story will showcase how Lincoln will continue to shape me and be meaningful to me, even though I have to move away this summer. 
    When organizing my story, I would like to use Ohler's two-column story table approach. I think that this method is simple and easy to understand, while still allowing me to ensure my story has a clear message and purpose. One side of the chart will be dedicated to my narration throughout the story, the other side will showcase videos and photos. 
    For creating my digital story, I'm considering iMovie, Adobe Express, or creating an interactive website similar to Pinepoint. I would like to combine images, video clips, voice over narration, and music to make my story meaningful. To assess my digital story and other digital storytelling projects, I would want to use a rubric that highlights a variety of areas. I think the most important areas would be organization, creativity, clarity, and overall quality. I believe that Ohler's framework has been most helpful in me understanding how to best structure my story and how to create a strong base for my story. 
    If I were to include an assignment like this in an elementary educational environment, I would allow students to create a digital story that explores their own identity. Letting them create a personal narrative or memoir through images, video, audio, and sharing their story with their peers. This would align strongly with ISTE standards. Specifically, creative communicator, knowledge constructor, digital citizen, and empowered learner. The creative communicator standard addresses students using digital tools to create and share a personal narrative. It also connects to Knowledge Constructor standards, as students gather and organize digital resources to support their own digital story. Lastly, the assignment supports Empowered Learner and Digital Citizen standards as students learn to act responsibly while creating their content, and could reflect on their effort and work after sharing with peers. 



References : 

Ohler, J. (2023). How to make a story - Process notes. Retrieved from: http://storyconcepts.blogspot.com

International Society for Technology in Education. (2016). ISTE standards for students. ISTE. https://www.iste.org/standards/students

Comments

  1. Hello Ella,
    I think it is wonderful that you are going to complete your digital story over your life. I always connect more to those stories as you can feel the emotional significance from the author and have a glimpse into their point of view about the world around them. It is fun to see how each person can have similarities and differences within each of our life experiences. As you mentioned bringing in multiple tools for a digital story such as videos, music, and narration will allow for a deeper connection between your goals for sharing this story and what they take away from reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 5313 : Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog  Part 1 : Introduction      Hello everyone! My name is Ella Christensen, and I am excited to get started with this course. This winter will be my third semester taking online classes through Southeastern Oklahoma University. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently work as a fourth-grade teacher at the same elementary school I attended as a child.      I am working toward my master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in educational technology. This is my first course directly related to the technology portion of my program, so I am excited to dive in! As for my future professional goals and what I plan to do with my master’s degree, I am not exactly sure yet, but I am looking forward to seeing where it might take me.      When I am not teaching or doing schoolwork, I spend a lot of time with friends and family. Whether it’s going for walks, grabbing coffee, shopping, or cooking a new dinner, I love spe...

EDUC 5313 : Week 2 Blog

  Week 2 Blog  Part 1:  Authentic Intellectual Work/Authentic Instruction & Assessment.        Authentic Intellectual Work focuses on 3 major criteria, the construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and the value beyond school. Meaning students should be able to build on their prior knowledge, analyze, and interpret new information. Students should engage in deep understanding of subjects and be able to communicate their ideas and responses clearly. Lastly, students’ learning should connect to real-world issues and situations, making their learning meaningful and valuable. This differs from traditional instruction, as it isn’t focused on standardized tests and teacher lectures. It more focuses on the student’s ability to communicate, problem solve, and question, not the teacher’s ability to lecture and ask questions. While traditional tests might encourage students to memorize definitions and formulas, AIW asks students to apply their kno...