Skip to main content

EDUC 5333 Week 5 Blog

 

    In order to be prepared to present during Week 7, I have started to focus on collecting video and images that I can use in my story. I would really like to make it feel like at-home videos with a film/vintage look in order to create a more nostalgic feeling. I don't think I need assistance with anything at this point in time, I just need to find time to dedicate to putting all of my content together. After looking through some of the resources and reminding myself of what examples I loved and connected with, I decided to use WIX to create an interactive website. My website will include images, videos, audio (both music and narration) to tell my story of growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. The audience of my story is people of all ages - I actually showed my 4th graders what I have completed so far on WIX, and they enjoyed it a lot. They love seeing photos of me from my childhood and hearing stories about my life. I would hope that my digital story impacts anyone who can relate to the feeling of always wanting to grow up, and then realizing they should have enjoyed the ride! Also, anyone that has grown up in a small town or the same place their whole lives, would connect to my digital story I think. I have been trying to make it have a very nostalgic feeling through music and different vintage-looking video effects. As I have started to create my story, I've really been able to understand the importance of story mapping. I even translated this into my classroom just yesterday. My students are writing an "adventure story" right now. I asked that they fold a piece of paper into 8 different squares and create a sort of "comic" that maps out their story. This helped a lot of them realize that they maybe didn't have a well-thought out plan for what was going to happen in their story. The comic allowed them to think about beginning, middle, and end, while also thinking about rising action, climax, and resolution. I think that my students would love to create something similar to what I am doing on WIX. A lot of them love creating and working on their chrome books. If I could make sure they all have access to something like Google Sites, and have the time to model and walk through how to use it, I could see myself using it for some kind of end of chapter book assignment/project. 


Comments

  1. Hello Ella,
    It is wonderful how you are already incorporating what we are learning about storytelling and creating a plan to aid with clarity and story progression with your students. This is such an important skill to be able to convey information in a manner that is both interesting and cohesive. It sounds like you are making large strides in your final project. I look forward to seeing all the images and videos as well as your narration for your website. It sounds like we will be transported into your world through your story, and I cannot wait to see what it was like. I have always wondered what it would be like to grow up in one place and see what it was like to grow up where there are ties and memories that create nostalgia all stemming from one location.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 5333 DST Week 3 Blog

Week 3 Blog      As I started to think about the different stories I could explore, I thought about important places, people, and moments throughout my life. They all came back to growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. My family, friends, school experiences, and teaching career all come back to Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like my story to capture "Nebraska : The Good Life", specifically, Lincoln. I think some of the different elements I could include are my own memories of growing up, important areas of Lincoln, such as the downtown Haymarket, the determination and loyalty of Husker fans, teaching at the elementary school I attended, and so on. All of these things that make Lincoln, Nebraska my home.      The type of story I would like to tell is a personal narrative memoir. The main purpose of my digital story would be to highlight how Nebraska has shaped my identity throughout my life. I would hope that the impact of my story would be that the audience feels an ...

EDUC 5313 : Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog  Part 1 : Introduction      Hello everyone! My name is Ella Christensen, and I am excited to get started with this course. This winter will be my third semester taking online classes through Southeastern Oklahoma University. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently work as a fourth-grade teacher at the same elementary school I attended as a child.      I am working toward my master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in educational technology. This is my first course directly related to the technology portion of my program, so I am excited to dive in! As for my future professional goals and what I plan to do with my master’s degree, I am not exactly sure yet, but I am looking forward to seeing where it might take me.      When I am not teaching or doing schoolwork, I spend a lot of time with friends and family. Whether it’s going for walks, grabbing coffee, shopping, or cooking a new dinner, I love spe...

EDUC 5313 : Week 2 Blog

  Week 2 Blog  Part 1:  Authentic Intellectual Work/Authentic Instruction & Assessment.        Authentic Intellectual Work focuses on 3 major criteria, the construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and the value beyond school. Meaning students should be able to build on their prior knowledge, analyze, and interpret new information. Students should engage in deep understanding of subjects and be able to communicate their ideas and responses clearly. Lastly, students’ learning should connect to real-world issues and situations, making their learning meaningful and valuable. This differs from traditional instruction, as it isn’t focused on standardized tests and teacher lectures. It more focuses on the student’s ability to communicate, problem solve, and question, not the teacher’s ability to lecture and ask questions. While traditional tests might encourage students to memorize definitions and formulas, AIW asks students to apply their kno...