While thinking about my own building Technology Integration Plan, it's very clear to me that the people and leaders supporting it, is the most influential piece in making sure it succeeds. Within the STARSS-LS framework, Professional Development is at the center. In Lincoln Public Schools, we already have access to several technology resources, but what's important is how we are able to incorporate those resources in purposeful ways.
As I think about the structure of this specific part of my plan, I would like to make sure professional development is not a one and done kind of thing. I want it to be continuous, collaborative, and engaging. Research has shown that professional development is most effective when it includes active learning, reflection, and sustained support (Siyam et al., 2025). Meaning, educators need more than one day of training. Teachers and support staff need time to try things out, reflect on how things went, and try again while making adjustments that best suit them. In my Technology Integration plan, I would want learning to feel hands-on for teachers, and allow them to implement resources and strategies into their classroom, then reflect on how it went as a group. I also want to make sure all teachers' and staffs' ideas are heard and valued.
I connected with the idea from Zimmer and Matthews (2022) regarding coaching and how it helps teachers build and develop a "Digital Learning Identity". I love this idea because it moves focus from simply technology in the classroom, to understanding how it truly supports learning and gives teachers the opportunity to set goals that meet them where they are at. In my district, LPS, instructional coaches and technology leaders could play a big part in supporting teachers through the ups and downs of implementing something new.
What stands out to me most is how teachers feeling confident and capable with technology, translates to students being more engaged and lessons being more effective. Siyam et al. (2025) highlights that teachers who are skilled in technology integration not only improve instruction, but also model important digital skills for students. This means students aren't just on technology devices to be on it, but for creating and thinking critically.
This relates directly to the vision I shared in Week 3. I want my classroom to be a place that students connect and engage with learning meaningfully. Technology can support this vision, but only if teachers know how to use it intentionally. In LPS, there are already structures in place that support professional learning, things like PLCs, instructional coaching, team planning, monthly staff meetings, tenure courses for new teachers, and professional developments. However, these supports can sometimes feel inconsistent or disconnected from each other, or what is really happening in your classroom. Zimmer and Matthews (2022) point out that these approaches can sometimes be ineffective, since the support isn't continuous and personalized. In my integration plan, I would focus on strengthening what we already have in place, by making it more consistent, collaborative, and focused on real classroom needs.
A big area where I see room for growth, is how we think about assessing student learning. Technology gives us the opportunity to move toward this. Students can create digital projects, build online portfolios, and then receive feedback. Looking at world and state expectations, assessments typically emphasize skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, and digital literacy. If we want students to be ready for these kinds of assessments, then our teaching needs to prepare them and reflect this. We want students to use technology in a way that supports learning, and we want teachers to rethink how they assess student learning.
Overall, I have realized professional development isn't just a small piece of the plan, but the framework for the plan. If we invest in teachers and give them the support, collaboration, and room for reflection that is needed, then we have the ability to put a successful plan in place. In Lincoln Public Schools, we already have a strong foundation. It's about building from that in a way that supports all teachers, staff, school leaders, and students, as we move forward with technology.
Citations :
Siyam, Y., Siyam, N., Hussain, M., & Alqaryouti, O. (2025). Evaluating technology integration in education: A framework for professional development. Discover Education, 4(53). https://doi.org/10.1007/s44217-025-00448-z
Zimmer, W. K., & Matthews, S. D. (2022). A virtual coaching model of professional development to increase teachers’ digital learning competencies. Teaching and Teacher Education, 109, 103544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2021.103544
Your focus on continuous, collaborative professional development really resonates, especially the idea that one and done training just doesn't lead to meaningful change. I appreciate how you connect this to teachers building a stronger digital learning identity. Coaching truly does make a difference in helping people feel confident rather than overwhelmed. You also make a great point about strengthening existing structures in LPS instead of reinventing the wheel; consistency and alignment could make those supports far more impactful. I especially like your emphasis on intentional technology use and shifting assessment practices so students are creating, reflecting, and thinking critically. Overall, your plan highlights that investing in teachers is the most powerful way to ensure technology actually enhances learning for students.
Hi Ella! You made a great point about professional development not just being a small part of the plan - but rather the framework for the whole entire thing. Without strong, continuous, support and development, there is no room to succeed. The point you made about Professional Learning Communities stuck out to me, as well. While these are great for collaboration and peer growth, they do nothing if they are not consistently tracked. It is important to keep the momentum going to ensure that this type of support can work properly. Good work!
Week 3 Blog As I started to think about the different stories I could explore, I thought about important places, people, and moments throughout my life. They all came back to growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. My family, friends, school experiences, and teaching career all come back to Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like my story to capture "Nebraska : The Good Life", specifically, Lincoln. I think some of the different elements I could include are my own memories of growing up, important areas of Lincoln, such as the downtown Haymarket, the determination and loyalty of Husker fans, teaching at the elementary school I attended, and so on. All of these things that make Lincoln, Nebraska my home. The type of story I would like to tell is a personal narrative memoir. The main purpose of my digital story would be to highlight how Nebraska has shaped my identity throughout my life. I would hope that the impact of my story would be that the audience feels an ...
Week 1 Blog Part 1 : Introduction Hello everyone! My name is Ella Christensen, and I am excited to get started with this course. This winter will be my third semester taking online classes through Southeastern Oklahoma University. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently work as a fourth-grade teacher at the same elementary school I attended as a child. I am working toward my master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in educational technology. This is my first course directly related to the technology portion of my program, so I am excited to dive in! As for my future professional goals and what I plan to do with my master’s degree, I am not exactly sure yet, but I am looking forward to seeing where it might take me. When I am not teaching or doing schoolwork, I spend a lot of time with friends and family. Whether it’s going for walks, grabbing coffee, shopping, or cooking a new dinner, I love spe...
Week 2 Blog Part 1: Authentic Intellectual Work/Authentic Instruction & Assessment. Authentic Intellectual Work focuses on 3 major criteria, the construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and the value beyond school. Meaning students should be able to build on their prior knowledge, analyze, and interpret new information. Students should engage in deep understanding of subjects and be able to communicate their ideas and responses clearly. Lastly, students’ learning should connect to real-world issues and situations, making their learning meaningful and valuable. This differs from traditional instruction, as it isn’t focused on standardized tests and teacher lectures. It more focuses on the student’s ability to communicate, problem solve, and question, not the teacher’s ability to lecture and ask questions. While traditional tests might encourage students to memorize definitions and formulas, AIW asks students to apply their kno...
Your focus on continuous, collaborative professional development really resonates, especially the idea that one and done training just doesn't lead to meaningful change. I appreciate how you connect this to teachers building a stronger digital learning identity. Coaching truly does make a difference in helping people feel confident rather than overwhelmed. You also make a great point about strengthening existing structures in LPS instead of reinventing the wheel; consistency and alignment could make those supports far more impactful. I especially like your emphasis on intentional technology use and shifting assessment practices so students are creating, reflecting, and thinking critically. Overall, your plan highlights that investing in teachers is the most powerful way to ensure technology actually enhances learning for students.
ReplyDeleteHi Ella! You made a great point about professional development not just being a small part of the plan - but rather the framework for the whole entire thing. Without strong, continuous, support and development, there is no room to succeed. The point you made about Professional Learning Communities stuck out to me, as well. While these are great for collaboration and peer growth, they do nothing if they are not consistently tracked. It is important to keep the momentum going to ensure that this type of support can work properly. Good work!
ReplyDelete