Skip to main content

EDUC 5373 Week 3 Blog


    A strong technology integration plan requires research-based practices and leadership support in order to achieve intentional and purposeful student learning. After reading through the research of both Crompton (2023) and Gonzales (2019), and reviewing the ISTE standards, it's clear that educators can develop a Technology Vision in order to better their school's effectiveness in technology use in education. 

    Crompton (2023) states key practices that lead to student growth while also aligning the ISTE Educator Standards. One of my biggest takeaways after reading, is how important continuous professional development opportunities are. Research showed that teachers who participate in technology-focused professional development will have better outcomes in the classroom with their students. This connects to ISTE Educator Standard 2.1: Learner, that explains the importance of professional growth. Another important practice described by Crompton is student-centered learning experiences. Students being able to engage with real-world problems and use technology while doing so, are more likely to be engaged in their learning. This aligns directly with ISTE Educator Standard 2.5: Designer, which explains how creating learner-driven environments is important for inclusion and equity. These key practices are vital in developing a. Technology Vision, specifically one that addresses the digital divide. Crompton states that technology alone doesn't improve student learning; instead, it depends on how well technology is actually aligned with teaching and curriculum. A strong vision must ensure access to devices, but also that all educators are prepared to deliver high-quality instruction when using these devices. 

    Gonzales (2019) emphasizes the challenges that educators and leaders may face when implementing 1:1 technology initiatives. The first major challenge is sustainability. School leaders have reported how difficult it can be to hole on to funding for devices and continue maintaining funding as updates arise.  Also, it can be challenging for admin to get teachers who are willing to try something new when it comes to technology. Many that may feel they aren't effective with technology, resist the opportunity to learn more about it. A strong Technology Vision needs to address these challenges by assuring long-term funding is possible, offer support to staff through professional developments and trainings, and offer clear goals. 

    The ISTE standards for Students, Educators and Education Leaders give a framework for collaboration. Student Standards highlight the importance of engagement and active learning. Educator Standards encourage strong instructional practices and Leader Standards focus on supporting staff. Implementing these standards will help stakeholders align goals and ensure their is a consistent focus across the district and school. Lastly, the ISTE Essential Conditions focuses on a strong implementation by ensuring an equitable access, continuous professional development, and encouraging community involvement. This helps in focusing on common challenges of sustainability and inclusivity as well. Crompton (2023) and Gonzales (2019) show how a successful technology integration depends on educator support, teaching practices, and strong leadership. 

References

Crompton, H. (2023). Evidence of the ISTE standards for educators leading to learning gains. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 39(4), 201–219.

Gonzales, M. M. (2019). School technology leadership vision and challenges: Perspectives from American school administrators. International Journal of Educational Management, 34(4), 697–708.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2017). ISTE standards for educators.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2018). ISTE standards for education leaders.

Comments

  1. Ella,

    I really enjoyed reading your post, it felt very real in what we actually experience in schools. Your point about professional development really stuck with me. I’ve seen how technology can fall flat when teachers aren’t given the time or support to feel confident using it. It’s not enough to just hand out devices; we have to invest in the people using them, which connects well to ISTE Standard 2.1 (ISTE, 2017).

    I also liked how you highlighted student-centered learning. When students are using technology to explore and solve real-world problems, the engagement is completely different. That’s when it actually feels meaningful and impactful for them.

    Your discussion of sustainability and teacher buy-in also stood out. Those challenges are very real, and I agree that strong leadership and clear support systems make all the difference in whether a technology plan actually lasts and continues to grow over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella, I love your blog! You are very creative and artistic. I like how you were able to speak about what truly happens when schools try to implement something like this. Access and expectations are easy to discuss, but you mentioned what happens when funding gets tight, and when teachers are not comfortable using the technology. That’s when things usually start to fall apart. You also made it clear that this is not something leadership can walk away from. Without their participation and backing it, the plan isn’t going to hold together. I appreciate the fact that you used the ISTE standards to set it all up without pushing them into the conversation. And this is something I would also say, I love how your blog is designed. It looks clean, it reads easy, and it keeps your content front and center.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ella! Your point about the "Learner" and "Designer" standards is spot on, it's a good reminder that technology shouldn't just be something that we add-on, but a way to encourage student-centered, real-world problem solving. I agree with your connection to Gonzales (2019), discussing the challenge of sustainability. Attaining new devices isn't the hard part, the real work lies in securing the funding and overcoming the resistance of staff through continuous support. Great job!

      Delete
  2. I really like how you connected both Crompton (2023) and Gonzales (2019) to building a strong Technology Vision. One thing that stood out to me was your emphasis on professional development. I agree that just giving teachers technology isn’t enough—it really comes down to whether they feel prepared and supported to use it effectively. Without that, even great tools can fall flat. Your point about student-centered learning also makes a lot of sense. I’ve noticed the same thing where students tend to be more engaged when they’re actively using technology to solve problems instead of just receiving information. It definitely lines up well with the ISTE standards and creating more meaningful learning experiences. I also appreciated your discussion of the challenges in Gonzales (2019), especially sustainability and teacher resistance. Those are real issues that can easily get overlooked. Funding and long-term maintenance are huge concerns, and I think the hesitation from teachers is understandable if they don’t feel confident with new tools.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 5333 DST Week 3 Blog

Week 3 Blog      As I started to think about the different stories I could explore, I thought about important places, people, and moments throughout my life. They all came back to growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. My family, friends, school experiences, and teaching career all come back to Lincoln, Nebraska. I would like my story to capture "Nebraska : The Good Life", specifically, Lincoln. I think some of the different elements I could include are my own memories of growing up, important areas of Lincoln, such as the downtown Haymarket, the determination and loyalty of Husker fans, teaching at the elementary school I attended, and so on. All of these things that make Lincoln, Nebraska my home.      The type of story I would like to tell is a personal narrative memoir. The main purpose of my digital story would be to highlight how Nebraska has shaped my identity throughout my life. I would hope that the impact of my story would be that the audience feels an ...

EDUC 5313 : Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog  Part 1 : Introduction      Hello everyone! My name is Ella Christensen, and I am excited to get started with this course. This winter will be my third semester taking online classes through Southeastern Oklahoma University. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently work as a fourth-grade teacher at the same elementary school I attended as a child.      I am working toward my master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in educational technology. This is my first course directly related to the technology portion of my program, so I am excited to dive in! As for my future professional goals and what I plan to do with my master’s degree, I am not exactly sure yet, but I am looking forward to seeing where it might take me.      When I am not teaching or doing schoolwork, I spend a lot of time with friends and family. Whether it’s going for walks, grabbing coffee, shopping, or cooking a new dinner, I love spe...

EDUC 5313 : Week 2 Blog

  Week 2 Blog  Part 1:  Authentic Intellectual Work/Authentic Instruction & Assessment.        Authentic Intellectual Work focuses on 3 major criteria, the construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and the value beyond school. Meaning students should be able to build on their prior knowledge, analyze, and interpret new information. Students should engage in deep understanding of subjects and be able to communicate their ideas and responses clearly. Lastly, students’ learning should connect to real-world issues and situations, making their learning meaningful and valuable. This differs from traditional instruction, as it isn’t focused on standardized tests and teacher lectures. It more focuses on the student’s ability to communicate, problem solve, and question, not the teacher’s ability to lecture and ask questions. While traditional tests might encourage students to memorize definitions and formulas, AIW asks students to apply their kno...